Thursday, January 05, 2006

Discovery: Online Help for Songwriters... Maybe

In my new-found/re-found/un-found search for songwriting skills, techniques and other things to keep my own Muse (see On Wrestling the Muse below) from completely clobbering me, I came across this site:

The Muse's Muse

The site has many articles and other resources for learning more about the craft of songwriting, along with music biz oand other stuff. What I like about it is that it contains many different viewpoints in the form of many contributors, it seems to cover a pretty broad pool of information to pull from, and best of all... some of it is actually actionable! Thank you Muse's Musers for not simply providing more vague examples of what made the other writer so successful (we 'emerging artists' often have fragile enough egoes, thank you very much!) that have no applications in my life whatsoever.

Some minor dislikes may turn out to be that the perspective isn't as varied as it may seem. I have not been through nearly all that the site has to offer, still I feel like I'm getting a "type" vibe from the material there. It may be nothing, just like the site may not be for everyone. Still, worth checking out!

As a footnote: I also stumbled on this online rhyming dictionary by an outfit called WriteExpress:

Free Online Rhyming Dictionary (Yes, a catchier title might help!)

I've never used one myself, but it seems to be a popular recommendation as a must-have in the songwriter's toolbox, so I guess I should give it a shot. Let me know if you have any experience with it, alternatives or simply believe this is all pure bunk!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Brian Meeley said...

I think you're right. I can see it coming in handy to revise and polish but to write directly from. I wan to try using it to wrench a song from otherwise less than poetic raw notes. We'll see.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Chuck Rose said...

Cold this be the paint-by-number solution to song writing?!

C'mon guys. You have it in you. Forget this stuff.

If you write about your life, I'll try to paint about mine.

Ok.... GO!

10:42 PM  
Blogger Brian Meeley said...

Actually, the rhyming dictionary was really an aside. And I see the other stuff as elements to experiment with, much like the different sketch and painting techniques you describe. Hell, any excuse to write, right? Right.

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home