Tuesday, January 03, 2006

On Wrestling the Muse: Songwriting, Process and Study

I confess. The real reason behind the title of this little spot on the web is that I haven't written anything in years. Nothing I'd show, anyway. The one possible exception to that is the previous post of the lyrics to Scream, though that is really a work in progress. The music has not been finalized and I may still tweak the words a bit. Like the title, the post was really more a primal need to get it out than a favorable self-review. That, and I've decided to expose more of the process behind what I do, study it myself and see what more I can learn about the craft of songwriting.

There. I said it. Songwriting is a craft. I've always been one of those (read: poor unfortunates) that is periodically clobbered over the head by the Muse and have to write to get her off me. This 'process' has always been anything but. My Muse is a female professional wrestler who has just come back into the ring with a chair from the audience and is bludgeoning me incessantly with it (in my head, this visual is directed by Quentin Tarantino, to make matters even worse). My songwriting is me flailing my arms frantically at the referee to please make her stop. It's always a humbling experience. Sometimes painful.

So if I ever expect to get up off the mat, I had better start learning more about this craft. The word craft implies control. That would be a novel thing for me and music. Control. No, I don't want it to become forced, formulaic and stiff. I'm just looking to get in better shape so I don't have to have the ref step in. That way, when that ol' Muse comes charging into the ring with her latest foregin object, I have some skill at wrestling her to the mat myself. Maybe even get a little less bloody in the process. Save some pride? Who knows?

So, it's off to the Songwriter's Virtual Gym. I'll be sure to post any good exercises and techniques I find that seem to help. If any do. Meanwhile, give a holler if you see that mean old Muse sneaking up on me, would ya? I'd appreciate it.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home