Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Melancholy Morning

Happy Fourth of July! It's a beautiful morning, and I am taking advantage by sitting on my screened-in porch and writing a bit. Day two of the dream pages experiment/exercise continues. So, so far, so good. I'll paste the result of this morning's effort below.

It's funny that there's such a melancholy feel to it. It's a beautiful, peaceful morning. The kids are in eating breakfast. And it promises to be a great day. Somebody "has issues."

It is amazing to me that losing someone close - a truly powerful force in your life - how that can stay with you. It's partially the loss that lingers, but much more the person - the force. For me, it was my sister. She died two and a half years ago. I still think of her all the time. Every day. She's always there. Mostly, it's comforting. Sometimes, it still hurts. It's always a missing piece trying to fill itself.

Today's dream page is a little daydream of sis. It was the beautiful morning and the quiet cup of coffee that did it. She loved little things like that.

I was rummaging through the basement last night, trying to find what's left of my guitar stuff and recording gear. I stumbled across some old tapes of live performances in college. It was a kick flipping through and listening to segments. Some of it not too bad. All of it raw. I'm thinking of digitizing those. Part to preserve them. There may be a project in there, too.

So much to do. So much to see....


July 4, 2007

The breeze is sighing through the trees
That filter soft rays of light
A quiet morning filled with you
And yet you’re nowhere in sight

A cup of coffee close at hand
Like the memory of your smile
Contented birdsong ‘cross the land
But you leave a hole all the while

Will you haunt me like this forever?
Will you always be by my side?
As terrible as losing you was, I couldn’t bear you being forgotten

Sometimes joy just filled your eyes
That others felt it too
Sometimes sadness welled inside
And spilled out a woe that made me blue

Unassuming strength that saw you through
Until the bitter end
Even fear, so cold at night
Couldn’t quite make you bend

You taught so much, you taught so many
The lessons continue to this day
The children still remember all
That you had to say

I still miss you


The writing continues. Oh, and I actually picked up the guitar for a bit yesterday. Got to get the callouses back. Not to mention the skills. Am sifting through some of the Berklee stuff to help there.

All aboard....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home