Saturday, July 14, 2007

Catching Up

It's been a few days since I've posted anything, but my writing continues. This dream pages idea is a good exercise. So far, I haven't produced anything earth-shattering, but I keep telling myself that that isn't what this is about.

A couple of the most recent installments are below. It's about time to start on an actual song project or two. I've been listening to a lot of music again and practicing when I can.

I've always been a big fan of Van Morrison and have just discovered the 1991 release of Bang Masters, some real bluesy stuff he did after leaving Them on the Bang label. These raw recordings became the 1967 album Blowin' Your Mind. It's great stuff.

July 14, 2007
The sound of children laughing and screaming
Fills the air on a sunny summers day
Sunlight filters down through the trees
The air is fresh and the storms have gone away

Expectations and obligations hang in the air
But perhaps they can wait just a little longer
Today I can take just a little time
To feed the soul and grow just a little stronger

Each day is a struggle, each day is a battle
Between what we need and what we need to do
The balance is the tricky part
A daily challenge for me and you

July 12, 2007
The buzz of email and the hum of the city
Another day dawns as people fill the streets
All wrapped up in the things they have to do
They are their work and that’s all, what a pity

I heard a man this morning on the radio
Talking about sacrifice and service
A soldier, a father in a family of war
A thoughtful man full of concern and pride

Yet we all walk around and go through our day
Answering phones and making our plays
Trying to build our own kingdoms and dreams
While others out there come apart at the seams

Not looking for sympathy, pity or guilt
Not looking for ways out, but through
Serving for country and brothers in arms
Just looking for more out of me and from you

The magnets on our cars, the ribbons and such
Just don’t mean a thing, they don’t add up to much

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home